By far, this is the best tortilla soup you will ever eat. It makes about 9 cups of soup, so you’re good to go for a few days. Let me know what you think.
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped or 1 (15 oz.) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- ½ cup sweet onion, sliced
- 2 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 tbs. ground cumin
- 1 tbs. ground chili powder
- 2 garlic, cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 qt. Vegetable stock
- 2 cups fresh or frozen sweet corn kernels
- Cholula Hot sauce (a few dashes)
- 3 tbs. chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tbs. nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Heat a stockpot coated with olive oil spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add tomatoes, onion, tortillas, cumin, and chili powder. Stir for 7 minutes, until onions are soft. Add garlic and cook additional 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, corn, salt and pepper, and hot sauce, to taste. Cook until heated through. Add cilantro.
- Transfer to a blender container, in batches. Puree until smooth. When finished blending all of the soup, fold in the Greek yogurt.
- Serve with toasted tortilla strips for a garnish.