Today marks the kick-off to BREAKFAST OF THE DAY. Every day for the next few weeks, I’m going to post a new, yummy, healthy breakfast idea for you to try. Please let me know which ones you like. Today, we start off with – Pancakes!
VERY BERRY PANCAKES (serves 6)
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tbs. ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt or Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup almond milk or nonfat milk
- 1 tsp. agave
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup mixed berries
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and ground flax seed. Mix well. In another bowl, combine milk, yogurt, agave, and vanilla; mix well. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Fold in berries. Set aside for 5 minutes.
2. Coat a large griddle with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium-high heat until hot. Use a 1/4-cup measuring cup to scoop batter onto pan. Cook about 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden on each side.
3. When done, remove from pan to a plate and serve. Top with more berries, all-fruit preserves, a small amount of real maple syrup, or home-made raspberry coulis (see following recipe). You can also top them with some chopped almonds or walnuts, or even some reduced-fat ricotta cheese.
Place 1 package frozen raspberries, that have been thawed overnight in refrigerator, into a blender, along with any raspberry juice that has accumulated in the bag. Blend until smooth. Pour through a fine-mesh strainer to remove the seeds. Pour into a serving dish.