Today marks the start of an 8-part series of tips to improve your health. There’s so much to know and so much we can do to become healthier, but where to start? The best place to start is at the beginning and learn how to slowly incorporate changes into your lifestyle. Remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day!
Tip #1: Get Checked
Congratulations on deciding on making some changes to make yourself healthier! But, before you even embark on cleaning up your life, you need to know your starting point. It’s time to take an overall assessment of your health. Get out a piece of paper and make a list of all of the important health-related items.
- What is your family history of illness and disease?
- Do you currently suffer from any conditions?
- What medications and supplements do you take?
- Know your numbers. Go to the doctor and get a physical. Get your blood drawn and find out your lab values. You need to know the following:
- Weight, Height, waist circumference, hip circumference
- Blood pressure
- Fasting blood sugar, Hemoglobin A1c, and fasting insulin
- Fasting lipid panel (total cholesterol, LDL, HDL, Triglycerides)
- hs-crp (high-sensitive c-reactive protein – a measure of inflammation in the body)
- 25-hydroxy-vitamin D
- Thyroid panel (Including free T3 and Free T4), not just TSH
It’s so important that you get a good picture of your current health so you know what changes need to be made and so you’ll have something which to compare to a few months down the line when you assess how you’re doing.
Don’t hesitate, call the doctor today and get checked. When you get your results, consult your doctor and a Registered Dietitian who specializes wellness coaching so you can get an individualized plan that will help you achieve your health and wellness goals.