I’m adding a new section to my site – Meatless Mondays. April is a great time to kick-off this feature, as it coincides with Earth Day, and you probably know that going meatless is good for the environment. Each Monday, I’ll offer a new meatless recipe that will be brimming with flavor and complete nutrition. Vegetarian protein sources will include tofu, soy beans, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, nut butters, dairy, eggs, tempeh, and seitan. Of course, everything will be easy to make and all ingredients are available at your regular supermarket. Enjoy!
SPICE-ROASTED TOFU FILLETS WITH CILANTRO PESTO
- 1 (16 oz.) package extra-firm Chinese tofu, drained, rinsed, and cut into 4 slabs
- 1 tbs. each ground cumin and ground chili powder
- 2 tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1 tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbs. fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tbs. canola oil
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, washed and thicker stems removed
- 2 whole green onions
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbs. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- pinch fresh ground white or black pepper
- For tofu fillets: Place tofu slabs in a shallow dish. Whisk together cumin, chili powder, lemon, juice, lime juice, orange juice, and canola oil. Pour over tofu and marinate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and place tofu slabs on baking sheet. Bake in oven for 12 minutes or until beginning to brown. Remove and cool.
- Pesto: Puree cilantro, green onion, garlic, yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender until smooth. Add water to thin, if necessary.
- Slice each tofu slab into 2 triangles. Top with pesto. Serve with brown rice, quinoa, roasted corn, or stuffed into corn tortillas and some sliced avocado.